Welcome to the veg files.

As a longtime vegetarian I started this blog as a place to share tips, recipes and general knowhow on maintaining a healthy vegetarian lifestyle. When I first became a vegetarian I was pretty lost and confused about just how to make sure I and my family got the right amount of nutrition, so I hope that this blog will help anyone out there who is feeling the same way. Of course, I hope this blog is useful to the old hands out there too!

I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I know I will enjoy writing it.

For money saving tips, articles and even more recipes check out my posts on Hubpages. For online money making opportunities go here. To check out my photography go here.



Thursday 6 January 2011

Vegetarian homemade remedies.

If you don't want to always be reaching for the medicine cabinet when you are feeling under the weather, then you will find a wealth of natural homemade remedies in your store cupboard. Things that you know are vegetarian friendly and not tested on animals.

To relieve the pain of a sore throat.

Put half of a peeled white onion into a jar of runny honey leave for at least a week and take a teaspoon every few hours whenever you have a sore throat. I have kept a jar of this for six months in the fridge and it still tasted fine and still worked.


When you want to give your immune system a boost.

Put equal quantities of green gooseberries, boiled beetroot and raw carrot into a container. Add a few cloves of fresh garlic and a pinch of sea salt. If you have a food processor blitz the mixture until it is smooth and liquidised, you can do this by hand but it takes forever! Drink slightly chilled and always use up the mixture daily.

To lower a high temperature.

Add a teaspoonful of dried sage leaves and a handful of sliced fresh ginger root to half a pint of cold water. Allow to stand for an hour then boil until the mixture reduces by around three quarters. Drink twice a day until your temperature comes down.


Unblock a stuffy nose.

Place a crushed garlic clove, four crushed black pepper corns and a large handful of fresh thyme leaves into a bowl. Pour on boiling water, cover your head with a towel and breath in the fumes from the bowl.

To help a headache.

Blend together one ripe banana, some fresh watermelon juice and a few drops of Tabasco sauce. Sit back and rub a cut lime on your forehead as you sip your smoothie.

No comments:

Post a Comment