Welcome to the veg files.

As a longtime vegetarian I started this blog as a place to share tips, recipes and general knowhow on maintaining a healthy vegetarian lifestyle. When I first became a vegetarian I was pretty lost and confused about just how to make sure I and my family got the right amount of nutrition, so I hope that this blog will help anyone out there who is feeling the same way. Of course, I hope this blog is useful to the old hands out there too!

I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I know I will enjoy writing it.

For money saving tips, articles and even more recipes check out my posts on Hubpages. For online money making opportunities go here. To check out my photography go here.



Tuesday 4 January 2011

Immune boosting foods.

Immune boosting foods.

As the winter really starts to bite and people seem to be dropping like flies all around us from one seasonal disease or another, it’s a good time to think about incorporating some immune boosting foods into our daily diets.

Zinc is one of the most important immune boosting ingredients. Zinc can be found in whole grains, dairy products and legumes. Think about switching to whole grain pasta such as buckwheat, brown rice and brown bread instead of the white varieties. Sprinkle a little grated cheese over pasta dishes, or have some grilled cheese on toasted brown bread as a snack or light lunch.

Vitamin C is also very important. The best sources of vitamin C included citrus fruits, so drink plenty of fresh orange juice with breakfast, red peppers, garlic, ginger, spinach, broccoli, almonds and turmeric. Use sliced red peppers, some crushed garlic and ginger, broccoli florets and slivered almonds to make a tasty stir fry. Simply toss the lot in a little extra virgin olive oil and fry in a wok for a few minutes. Add turmeric to curries or use it to coat potatoes before roasting, they have a wonderful golden colour and taste great. You can also add turmeric to soups and sauces.

Drink a mug or two of green tea sweetened with runny honey every day. Honey is a great natural antibiotic, add honey to cakes and cookies.

Take a little extra care over what you eat during the winter months and staying healthy and cold free is a piece of honey cake.

For a great tasting recipe for vegan chicken noodle soup go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment