Welcome to the veg files.

As a longtime vegetarian I started this blog as a place to share tips, recipes and general knowhow on maintaining a healthy vegetarian lifestyle. When I first became a vegetarian I was pretty lost and confused about just how to make sure I and my family got the right amount of nutrition, so I hope that this blog will help anyone out there who is feeling the same way. Of course, I hope this blog is useful to the old hands out there too!

I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I know I will enjoy writing it.

For money saving tips, articles and even more recipes check out my posts on Hubpages. For online money making opportunities go here. To check out my photography go here.



Friday 14 January 2011

How to make Cheese, Leek and Potato pie.

INGREDIENTS.

1lb potatoes.
4 leeks.
8oz grated cheese. Cheddar works well.
Salt and pepper to taste.
Olive oil.
Butter and cream (optional.)

METHOD.


Peel the potatoes and cut them into small chunks, place in a large pan of slightly salted water, bring to the boil and cook until the potatoes are soft. Remove from the heat and drain. Mash the potatoes and season to taste. You can add a knob of butter, some milk or cream or a few drops of olive oil if desired. Set aside and keep warm.

Wash and trim the leeks then slice thinly before frying in the olive oil for five minutes until softened. Add most of the leeks to the mashed potatoes and stir in two thirds of the grated cheese. Put this mixture into an ovenproof dish and top with the remaining grated cheese and the fried leeks. Cook in a moderate oven until the top is golden and bubbling, serve immediately. This makes a great supper or lunch dish served on it’s own, or a very nice vegetable side dish to a main meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment