Welcome to the veg files.

As a longtime vegetarian I started this blog as a place to share tips, recipes and general knowhow on maintaining a healthy vegetarian lifestyle. When I first became a vegetarian I was pretty lost and confused about just how to make sure I and my family got the right amount of nutrition, so I hope that this blog will help anyone out there who is feeling the same way. Of course, I hope this blog is useful to the old hands out there too!

I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I know I will enjoy writing it.

For money saving tips, articles and even more recipes check out my posts on Hubpages. For online money making opportunities go here. To check out my photography go here.



Wednesday 22 December 2010

How to make a basic vegetable stock.

A good quality vegetable stock is easy to make and very versatile, use it as a base for everything from sauces to soups.

Ingredients.

1 large white onion.
4 carrots.
4 sticks of celery.
1 small sweede or turnip.
2oz vegetable oil.
4 pints of water.
Fresh ground black pepper to taste.
Either a good bunch of fresh mixed herbs or 3tsp dried.

Method.

Chop all of the vegetables into roughly the same size. In a large stockpot heat up the oil and then fry the vegetables for ten minutes. Cook until the onion has browned. Add the water, herbs and seasoning. Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat and simmer the stock for an hour. Strain well before using. This stock will freeze very well, use within six months.

No comments:

Post a Comment