Welcome to the veg files.

As a longtime vegetarian I started this blog as a place to share tips, recipes and general knowhow on maintaining a healthy vegetarian lifestyle. When I first became a vegetarian I was pretty lost and confused about just how to make sure I and my family got the right amount of nutrition, so I hope that this blog will help anyone out there who is feeling the same way. Of course, I hope this blog is useful to the old hands out there too!

I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I know I will enjoy writing it.

For money saving tips, articles and even more recipes check out my posts on Hubpages. For online money making opportunities go here. To check out my photography go here.



Tuesday 28 December 2010

Cauliflower cheese recipe.

Cauliflower cheese is one of those dishes that makes you feel good as you eat it. I love comfort food and cauliflower cheese is comfort food at its best. You can make cauliflower cheese with just about any type of cheese you have. It works well with Cheddar but is just as tasty if you use a blue cheese such as Stilton.

Ingredients.
1 large cauliflower broken into florets.
1 pint of milk.
6oz cheese.
1 tsp mustard.
3tbs flour.
3tbs butter or spread.
salt and pepper to taste.

Method.

Cook the cauliflower florets in salted boiling water for about five minutes, remove from the heat and drain well. You need to leave cauliflower to drain in a sieve over a bowl or plate for at least five minutes, it's surprising just how much water will drain out of it in this time. If you skip this step your cauliflower cheese will be too runny. As the cauliflower is draining put all of the other ingredients except the cheese into a saucepan and bring slowly to the boil. Keep stirring all the time with a balloon whisk or the sauce will go lumpy. Add all but a handful of grated cheese to the sauce and stir until it has dissolved.

Put the cooked cauliflower into a deep sided ovenproof dish and pour over the cheese sauce.Top with the retained cheese and bake in a moderate oven for twenty minutes or until the top has browned and gone crispy. Serve with crusty bread for a great supper dish or use as a side dish for a main meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment