Welcome to the veg files.

As a longtime vegetarian I started this blog as a place to share tips, recipes and general knowhow on maintaining a healthy vegetarian lifestyle. When I first became a vegetarian I was pretty lost and confused about just how to make sure I and my family got the right amount of nutrition, so I hope that this blog will help anyone out there who is feeling the same way. Of course, I hope this blog is useful to the old hands out there too!

I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I know I will enjoy writing it.

For money saving tips, articles and even more recipes check out my posts on Hubpages. For online money making opportunities go here. To check out my photography go here.



Friday 10 December 2010

Butternut squash bake.

This is a wonderful filling dish that is good enough for a quick supper dish but also fancy enough to go with a dinner party at Christmas time.

Recipe.
2lb potatoes, thinly sliced, I leave the washed skins on but you can peel them if you prefer.
2lb butternut squash, deseeded, peeled and thinly sliced.
2tsp butter.
1 pint semi skimmed milk.
1/2 pint single cream.
salt and pepper to taste.
1tsp mixed dried herbs.
2 spring onions,sliced (scallions).

Butter a large flat baking dish, a lasagne dish is perfect, and then layer the squash and potatoes in it. Sprinkle the herbs, salt and pepper between the layers. In a saucepan warm up the milk and the cream and then pour over the vegetables and top with the sliced spring onions. Bake for around forty minutes. You can put a little grated cheese on the top for added protein but cover the dish with foil for the first twenty minutes baking time.

My family like to serve this with some warm crusty bread and a tossed green salad. If you want this dish to look a little less rustic, bake it in individual gratin dishes. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment