Welcome to the veg files.

As a longtime vegetarian I started this blog as a place to share tips, recipes and general knowhow on maintaining a healthy vegetarian lifestyle. When I first became a vegetarian I was pretty lost and confused about just how to make sure I and my family got the right amount of nutrition, so I hope that this blog will help anyone out there who is feeling the same way. Of course, I hope this blog is useful to the old hands out there too!

I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I know I will enjoy writing it.

For money saving tips, articles and even more recipes check out my posts on Hubpages. For online money making opportunities go here. To check out my photography go here.



Wednesday 9 March 2011

How to make perfect poached eggs.

Poached eggs are one of those things that seem really simple to make but can go really wrong. I have undercooked them and ended up with white and yellow slime on toast and overcooked them ending up with an inedible hockey puck on my plate. This method for poaching eggs is pretty much fool proof, I should know, even I can make perfect poached eggs when I cook them this way.

Don't use too big a saucepan, half fill with water and a splash of vinegar, white if you have it but any vinegar will do, and bring it to a rolling boil, this means a constant boil without the water boiling over. Next put the eggs you are going to poach into the water still in their shells for thirty seconds and then fish them out. Crack the eggs, which will have set a tiny bit inside,into a cup and then float them into the boiling water. Poach for three minutes for a soft poached egg and an extra minute for a harder set. Remove the poached eggs from the water using a slotted spoon, drain and then serve on hot buttered toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment