Welcome to the veg files.

As a longtime vegetarian I started this blog as a place to share tips, recipes and general knowhow on maintaining a healthy vegetarian lifestyle. When I first became a vegetarian I was pretty lost and confused about just how to make sure I and my family got the right amount of nutrition, so I hope that this blog will help anyone out there who is feeling the same way. Of course, I hope this blog is useful to the old hands out there too!

I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I know I will enjoy writing it.

For money saving tips, articles and even more recipes check out my posts on Hubpages. For online money making opportunities go here. To check out my photography go here.



Saturday 12 March 2011

Baked stuffed onions recipe.

This is a great recipe that uses up leftover cheese and day old bread.

Any cheese will do for this recipe, if you use a soft cheese like feta just crumble it instead of grating.

This can be adapted for vegans by using olive oil instead of butter and replacing the cheese with quorn mince or some diced aubergine or courgette.



INGREDIENTS

4 Large Spanish onions.
4 oz fresh brown breadcrumbs.
1 oz fresh, chopped herbs.
8 oz chopped mushrooms.
2oz chopped walnuts.
3oz melted butter.
2 oz grated cheese.
Salt and pepper to taste.

METHOD.

Peel the onions and then boil them in a large pan filled with salted water for around thirty minutes or until they are tender. Drain and leave them to cool. Mix together the breadcrumbs, half the cheese, chopped herbs, mushrooms, walnuts, half of the melted butter and season to taste. Remove the centre of the onions and chop them up before adding them to the stuffing mixture.

Take a large shallow ovenproof dish, a lasagne dish is perfect, butter the dish using some of the remaining melted butter. Place the onion shells into the dish and spoon the stuffing mixture into them. Top with the remaining grated cheese. Baste with the left over butter and cook for thirty minutes in a moderate oven. Serve with a green salad for a light lunch or supper dish or as a main course with vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment