Welcome to the veg files.

As a longtime vegetarian I started this blog as a place to share tips, recipes and general knowhow on maintaining a healthy vegetarian lifestyle. When I first became a vegetarian I was pretty lost and confused about just how to make sure I and my family got the right amount of nutrition, so I hope that this blog will help anyone out there who is feeling the same way. Of course, I hope this blog is useful to the old hands out there too!

I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I know I will enjoy writing it.

For money saving tips, articles and even more recipes check out my posts on Hubpages. For online money making opportunities go here. To check out my photography go here.



Monday 22 November 2010

Top tip.

These days saving money and cutting down on waste is even more important than ever, throwing away perfectly good food is just plain crazy. Use up left over cooked veg, or veg that has seen better days by making soup. Homemade soup is cheap, quick and easy to make and tastes just as good as, if not better than, the shop bought variety. Simple put the leftovers into a blender with a little stock, water, or milk and blitz until smooth. Curry powder added to cooked parsnips tastes amazing, coriander goes well with carrots and leeks make potatoes zing. If all you have left in the store cupboard is a couple of onions then make french onion soup.

French onion soup recipe.

Dice the onions and sautee them slowly in a little butter or olive oil until they turn a golden brown colour. Add some vegetable stock, some made using a stock cube is fine, and cook for a further ten minutes. Serve with crusty bread, or as the french do with a slice of french stick floating on the top covered in a little grated cheese. This soup is perfect for cold winter nights and keeps well in the fridge for days.

No comments:

Post a Comment