Welcome to the veg files.

As a longtime vegetarian I started this blog as a place to share tips, recipes and general knowhow on maintaining a healthy vegetarian lifestyle. When I first became a vegetarian I was pretty lost and confused about just how to make sure I and my family got the right amount of nutrition, so I hope that this blog will help anyone out there who is feeling the same way. Of course, I hope this blog is useful to the old hands out there too!

I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I know I will enjoy writing it.

For money saving tips, articles and even more recipes check out my posts on Hubpages. For online money making opportunities go here. To check out my photography go here.



Monday 15 November 2010

Getting enough calcium.

Calcium is an essential mineral for building healthy bones and teeth.It helps to keep the heart regulated and blood clotting properly. Getting enough calcium is most important in young people under the age of twenty five, after that time bones start to lose density as part of the natural aging process. Vegetarians and especially vegans can be at risk of having too low a calcium intake.It's very important to include the following in your diet if you want to remain healthy.

Dried fruits.
Dark green leafy vegetables.
Soya.
Sesame seeds.
Almonds.

This is a great tasting recipe that helps to boost your calcium intake.

Iced berry fool.

10oz frozen mixed berries.
20floz plain soya yogurt.
Juice of half a lemon.
Juice of half an orange.
3tbsp toasted almonds chopped into small pieces.
A little superfine (icing) sugar to taste.

Place all of the ingredients, except the almonds, into a blender and blitz until smooth, pour into glasses and sprinkle the toasted nuts onto the top.

Healthy and delicious, enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment